As we get older, we start to see changes in just about every part of the body. But the changes you may be most concerned about may involve the face and neck. The neck is often overlooked when considering a plastic surgery procedure, but changing the neck can really make a difference.
Why should you consider a neck lift?
It can be difficult to get rid of excess neck fat and skin (often referred to as “turkey wattle”), even when you have lost weight in the rest of your body – the neck may be the last place you have fat, and there’s no exercise you can do to get rid of it. Or, this extra fat and skin may be just a natural part of aging. Either way, a neck lift can help. Here are some things you should know about this procedure:
1. Removing extra fat and neck folds can change the look of your face. This may seem strange, but a neck lift can help to lift sagging jowls, which can tone up the face and even change the shape of it.
2. In the procedure, sagging skin is removed and loose muscles are tightened. Liposuction may be used to remove excess fat.
3. A neck lift is a surgical procedure that takes 2 to 4 hours and is usually performed on an outpatient basis. The patient is given either local or general anesthesia.
4. Bruising and swelling after the procedure will typically last for about 2 weeks.
5. You should plan on missing about 2 weeks of work after this procedure and avoiding strenuous activity for 4 to 6 weeks.
6. Before your surgery, you should be in good mental and physical health and have realistic expectations about what this surgery can do for you.
You may be considering a facelift or other work, but you should consider a neck lift as well! You may be surprised what a difference changes to the neck can make. Dr. Mao at Mao Facial Plastic Surgery in Orange, Connecticut, can help you decide which procedures are right for you to achieve your plastic surgery goals. Call (203) 907-0501 for an appointment today!