You have been thinking about getting a facelift for a few years, and you finally jumped in, saw your doctor, and now you are anxiously looking forward to the day of the procedure. But before your facelift, you should know there are some things you can do that will help to ensure the success of the procedure and a quick recovery afterwards.
Before the procedure
Your doctor will have specific instructions for you to follow, but generally there are a few things you should and should not be doing:
- Quit smoking at least 6 weeks before your surgery, as smoking can increase the risk of complications during surgery and can affect the results.
- Stop taking aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
- Prepare your home for your recovery. Stock up on foods that are healthy but easy to fix, and have a comfy spot prepared where you can relax.
- Ask someone to drive you to and pick you up from the procedure. It may be a good idea if they can stay with you overnight as well.
- Don’t try to go back to your normal routine too soon. Take at least a week to relax and recover fully.
After the procedure
- Plan on being up and walking around the day after surgery (although you shouldn’t perform any strenuous activity). This is important to get blood flowing and for your tissues to heal.
- Keep your head elevated to prevent too much swelling.
- Follow the instructions given to you by your doctor and his or her staff with regards to bandages, medications, and self-care.
- Don’t be concerned about bruising and swelling, which can last up to 2 weeks following surgery.
The date is almost here – the date for your facelift procedure! A facelift can give you a new sense of self-confidence and can make you feel amazing. Before and after the procedure, take steps to take care of yourself and to help you recover faster. If you have any questions about an upcoming procedure, or you would like a consultation for a facelift, contact Mao Facial Plastic Surgery in Orange, Connecticut at (203) 907-0501 today!